Picnic Table (Gingham)

Brian Malarkey, who apparently was a finalist on Top Chef (sue me, I could never get into that show), has opened many a restaurant in San Diego, because of the huge success of Searsucker. That place, by the way, kicks ass. Okay, so I've only ever been for lunch because it's so expensive, but their lunch definitely kicks ass! Does anyone else think it's a really clever idea to name your restaurants after garment materials? Love it. 

About Gingham: it's a laid-back restaurant with dishes (think bbq) that are all under $20. I'm a fan of the chef there, Ryan Studebaker, who used to work at Del Mar's Prepkitchen- will someone plleease get that place up and running again? Seriously though, back to Gingham. 

I went there with the bf for happy hour (Mon through Fri 5-6pm and Fri/Sat 10-11pm), not knowing exactly what to expect. Before we made our orders, our server gave us complimentary cornbread. They were light and a great way to start our meal!

We started off with some drinks, the bf got a beer (can't remember what one), and I got an infusion cocktail (regularly $9, happy hour $7). I got the best berry press of your life, thinking that it'd be sweet. That, unfortunately, was not the case, as I could barely taste the berry flavor. The bf said his beer was good, though!




Onto the apps.. the smoked salmon chips (reg. $10, happy hour $5) were straight up plain potato chips with a healthy amount of smoked salmon with capers and red onion. The chips were forgettable, but I really enjoyed the smoked salmon. This is a definitely a dish to share, since there was so much.



We also got the baked brie (reg. $9, happy hour $4.50) that came with baguette slices and fig jam. You can't really mess up brie, so this was a good standby appetizer. 

Both mine and the bf's favorite dish was the chorizo corn ($5, no happy hour discount). The corn was perfectly smoked and sweet, and the chorizo paired so well with it. We almost got another, but that would have just been overkill. 

I'd like to go back to try their dinner sometime, but I think I want to check out some of his other restaurants first before coming back to this one. 


Gingham
8384 La Mesa Boulevard
La Mesa, CA 91942
(619) 797-1922

No comments:

Post a Comment